Skip to main content

Review: Walk Into Silence (Detective Jo Larsen #1) by Susan McBride



Blurb from Goodreads:
A woman vanishes from a Texas town. Did she simply run off, or is something darker at play?

When Patrick Dielman shows up at Detective Jo Larsen’s desk insisting that his wife, Jenny, is missing, Jo wonders if it’s a case of a bored housewife running away.

But as she digs deeper into Jenny’s life, Jo learns that Dielman keeps a stranglehold on the family finances, down to the last nickel, and that Jenny’s first marriage dissolved following the death of her young son. By all accounts—including her doctor’s—she never recovered from the loss. Between a controlling husband, a tragic past, and a callous ex-husband, Jo can’t be sure if she should suspect foul play or accept that the woman may have wanted to disappear.

For Jo, whose own demons are shadowing her every step, finding Jenny becomes more than the typical protect-and-serve.
My Review:
 
I love Susan McBride!  Her Debutante Dropout series is one of my favorite cozy mystery series so I was excited to dive into this one, which is infinitely darker and much more procedural.  One thing Susan McBride excels at is writing complex, strong and surprising heroines.  Walk Into Silence is no exception with the introduction of Detective Jo Larsen. Despite having a seriously messed up childhood, Jo is dogged and determined in her pursuit of justice in this book - she scared me a bit with how cavalier she was toward her own well being in trying to solve the case in this book.  But this was definitely a great start to this new series and I look forward to more books and more Jo.  We are just getting to know her.

Walk Into Silence came out earlier this month and you can purchase HERE. I definitely recommend this one if you like kick-ass heroines and/or police procedurals.  The second book, Walk a Crooked Line, will be released in 2018!
Jo's growing up had been more Kafka than Capra. She wondered if Hank had a inkling of how much of her life she kept bottled up. If he did have questions, he didn't ask them not often, anyway. 

Comments

  1. I'm glad to see you liked this one! You put it on my radar awhile ago, and then I was so excited it was part of the Amazon Prime first to read books last month! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I need to get this book! I'm adding it to my TBR right now. It sounds amazing plus I'm loving detective/crime novels a lot. Lovely review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this one lovely! A cozy mystery and suspense are just what I need right now!!♡♡ awesome review@!♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't know this author at all. I will have to check this out and her cozy series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where have I been that I've never heard of Susan McBride? I'm not usually a fan of cozy mysteries but this one does sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing you have to admire is complex characters, and I always stick to authors like glue who can write them so well. Glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this one, but it looks decent! Thanks for this review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love police procedurals but I'm not keen on a woman who puts herself unnecessarily in dangerous situations. I'll definitely check this one out, though. The 2nd book releases in 2018?! That's a long wait, but not like we don't have a million other books to occupy us until then, lol. Fab review, Eva! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?