Skip to main content

Review: A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay



Blurb from Goodreads:
Art restorer Emily Price has never encountered anything she can’t fix—until she meets Ben, an Italian chef, who seems just right. But when Emily follows Ben home to Italy, she learns that his family is another matter . . .

Emily Price—fix-it girl extraordinaire and would-be artist—dreams of having a gallery show of her own. There is no time for distractions, especially not the ultimate distraction of falling in love.

But Chef Benito Vassallo’s relentless pursuit proves hard to resist. Visiting from Italy, Ben works to breathe new life into his aunt and uncle’s faded restaurant, Piccollo. Soon after their first meeting, he works to win Emily as well—inviting her into his world and into his heart.

Emily astonishes everyone when she accepts Ben’s proposal and follows him home. But instead of allowing the land, culture, and people of Monterello to transform her, Emily interferes with everyone and everything around her, alienating Ben’s tightly knit family. Only Ben’s father, Lucio, gives Emily the understanding she needs to lay down her guard. Soon, Emily’s life and art begin to blossom, and Italy’s beauty and rhythm take hold of her spirit.

Yet when she unearths long-buried family secrets, Emily wonders if she really fits into Ben’s world. Will the joys of Italy become just a memory, or will Emily share in the freedom and grace that her life with Ben has shown her are possible?
My Review:
 
Two things I can say about all of Katherine Reay's books - I always devour them and I always love love love her heroines. I'm happy to report that A Portrait of Emily Price is no different!  What I loved about this book was how it captured that sense of freefall from A Portrait of the Artist as Young Man but in a modern way and with a woman as the protagonist.  This wasn't a re-telling but the allusion cannot be missed -- the struggle of the artist and the mixed emotions.  This was set between Atlanta and Italy (in the country, outside Florence) and both were lovely.  My only qualm was a bit of the ending -- there were parts I really liked but the build-up was not my favorite. Obviously, uncovering a family's deeply protected secret is usually not nice or good but it felt extra out of place here.  Still, I liked this one a lot and have come to anxiously await each of this author's releases.

A Portrait of Emily Price comes out tomorrow on November 1, 2016 and you can purchase HERE. I definitely recommend this one if you like contemporary women's fiction that is a bit of a spin on a classic (here, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, one of my favorites).  I have loved all of this author's works so far!
It was at night Ben and I found each other. He'd crawl into bed beside me and drag me back against his chest, and I'd whisper the same question into the darkness, "How was your day?" 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you loved this one! And what makes it EVEN FLIPPING BETTER is that it takes place in ITALY. Just give it an automatic 5 stars. I'll wait. ;) teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for an author that you can count on for great heroines! Gotta love that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this looks like a good read. Sucks that the ending wasn't as well done as the rest of the book but I still want to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great read. I think I had seen this book on a blog (maybe yours?) and was curious about it. Despite the ending, it still looks promising :) Lovely review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds great! I'm glad that you liked it, even though there were parts of the ending you didn't care for. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A devourable book with a good heroine sounds great to me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this one—set in the art world and in Italy!! Also a positive that you really enjoy her heroines. I hadn't even heard of this author until I read your review. There has been a couple of books recently that I've liked quite a bit and then the ending is lacking. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?