Skip to main content

Review: The Invoice by Jonas Karlsson



Blurb from Goodreads:
Hilarious, profound, and achingly true-to-life, Jonas Karlsson’s novel explores the true nature of happiness through the eyes of hero you won’t soon forget

A passionate film buff, our hero’s life revolves around his part-time job at a video store, the company of a few precious friends, and a daily routine that more often than not concludes with pizza and movie in his treasured small space in Stockholm. When he receives an astronomical invoice from a random national bureaucratic agency, everything will tumble into madness as he calls the hotline night and day to find out why he is the recipient of the largest bill in the entire country.

What is the price of a cherished memory? How much would you pay for a beautiful summer day? How will our carefree idealist, who is content with so little and has no chance of paying it back, find a way out of this mess? All these questions pull you through The Invoice and prove once again that Jonas Karlsson is simply a master of entertaining, intelligent, and life-affirming work.
My Review:
 
When the GR description calls a book hilarious, I expect some big time laughs!  Sadly, that was not the case here.  This was wry and sarcastic about the world in general but, for me, it wasn't laugh out loud funny.  Also, I should point out that this is novella length -- super short and probably should have been labelled as a novella or even a short story.  There isn't a lot of development -- we are essentially supposed to accept the invoice -- that all of us must pay to breathe the air, to live -- basically and the book instead focuses on how they calculated the figure for each person; happiness = higher invoice.  I would probably skip this one -- it was an interesting premise but there wasn't much more to it.

The Invoice came out last week on July 12, 2016, and you can purchase HERE.
I looked at all the familiar things in my life.  The buildings, streets, trees.  The ice-cream kiosk and shops.  The lunchtime crows in restaurants. The posters on the walls and the newspaper flysheets.  My fingers toyed with the note in my pocket.  Of all the people around me, only I knew that I was probably the happiest person in the country.  And at absolutely no cost.  I took a deep breath of the mild summer air.  It occurred to me that I could have some ice cream. Mint chocolate and raspberry, my two favorites.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry this wasn't as funny as you expected it to be, Eva. That's really disappointing. I don't think this was even for me in the first place, but I definitely won't be picking it up now or reccing it to anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah if it says it is hilarious I expect to laugh! Sorry this one wasn't good for you. Great review though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate when a book description is totally different from what it said?, It's like, WHY YOU MAKE ME WANT TO READ YOU AND THEN DISAPPOINT ME? DO YOU JUST WANT TO BREAK MY HEART? I Don't get it.... Sorry you didn't really care for this one girl and I hope your next one is way, wayyyy better. ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you hate when a book description is totally different from what it said?, It's like, WHY YOU MAKE ME WANT TO READ YOU AND THEN DISAPPOINT ME? DO YOU JUST WANT TO BREAK MY HEART? I Don't get it.... Sorry you didn't really care for this one girl and I hope your next one is way, wayyyy better. ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that's too bad. I love humor, so I'd be bummed if it didn't deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've come to realize that the blurb writers' definitions of hilarious and my own definition are never the same. I've accepted wry humor as the norm. I miss the days of when hilarious meant a Stephanie Plum type of laugh. I wish it had at least been longer for you. Of course, that might have prolonged the agony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nooooo!!! I always get super excited when I'm told a book is funny too, so it sounds like this one would have let me down too. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. :( Great review! I hope your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, doesn't sound like there was much to this one. And it didn't deliver the laughs, either. Guess I'll steer clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh sad to hear that this one didn't meet up to expectations!! It can be a pain when a story doesn't deliver, especially when the premise sounds just right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?