Skip to main content

Top Ten Quotes I Loved From Books I Read In The Past Year Or So


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the fab ladies at The Broke and the Bookish!



1.  It's July 3, so the sun is a heat lamp with no off switch, the blacktop road a cast-iron griddle, and any living thing caught between the two is just meat set to singe on high. I tried to tell Daniel this. I know this swath of high desert as well as I know his profile. The Mojave's cracked surface is as familiar to me as the dark mole tucked to the side of his right eyebrow-- his only imperfection, and one I love.
2.  "You're right, Jottie, but what good is it? Rightness is nothing. You can't live on it. You might as well eat ashes." I glanced at Father, his bloodshot eyes and the stain on his pants. I loved him so. Once more, I tried to explain. "This is all we can do; it's all we're allowed. We can't go back. The only thing time leaves for us to decide" -- I picked up Father's hand and held it tight-- "is whether or not we're going to hate each other."
3.  I wanted to be her north star. I wanted to be her map. I wanted to drink coffee with her in the cafes in the morning and do things, as you do, as she did, instead of just philosophizing about them and deconstructing their endless Russian-doll layers of meaning. I was alone before I met her. I wanted to disappear with her, and fold her into my life. I wanted to be her compass. I wanted to be her last speaker, her interpreter, her language. I wanted to be her translator, Zed, but none of the languages we knew were the same.


4.  You can't re-create the first time you promise to love someone or the first time you feel loved by another.  You cannot relive the sensation of fear, admiration, self-consciousness, passion, and desire all mixed into one because it never happens twice.  You chase it like the first high for the rest of our life.  It doesn't mean you can't love another or move on; it just means that one spontaneous moment, the split second you took the leap, when your heart was racing and our mind was muddled with What ifs? -- that moment -- will never happen the same way again.  It will never feel as intense as the first time.  At least, that's the way I remember it.  That's why my mother always said we memorialize our past.  Everything seems better in a memory. 
5.  Nothing is better than the discovery of another living, breathing human, who fights the same as you do, loves the same as you do, and understands you with such clarity that it feels erotic.
6.  "If you are honest with yourself," I said to the potato salad, "is the feeling of love really any better than the satisfaction you get from a good meal?"


7.  It was a kiss that had sneaked in through an open window, a kiss that lay folded in a paper giraffe, in the silences between 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, in the pits of the mini mangoes and here, now, at least, it was set free.  And the rightness of it, the feeling of longing and belonging, made me want to hold on to it forever.  I wanted Damian to keep kissing me, keep kissing, keep kissing, until every other kiss had been erased, until this was the only kiss.
8.  Your voice isn't noise. It's a song I want to hear over and over.
9.  She'd read more than was healthy, hundreds of books every year. Some of them she read twice, or even three times, before returning them. Some of them she would check out again after letting them sink in a while. She'd thought at the time that books were at their best when you'd read them two or three times.
  



10.  No more Internet. No more social media, no more scrolling through litanies of dreams and nervous hopes and photographs of lunches, cries for help and expressions of contentment and relationship-status updates with heart icons whole or broken, plans to meet up later, pleas, complaints, desires, pictures of babies dressed as bears or peppers for Halloween. No more reading and commenting on the lives of others, and in so doing, feeling slightly less alone in the room. No more avatars.

Comments

  1. Oooh great quotes! Loved Swerve! Such a creepy read!

    Here'e my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked such great quotes!! Loved Before We Were Strangers and that quote. This reminds me I still need to get to Marrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read most of these books, so it was nice getting a preview! I especially like the one from The Paper Swan! *swoon*

    The Hook Up - love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks, Eva! I am so excited for Before We Were Strangers. It feels like one that I just know I'm going to love so I'm super excited to start it. And I love that quote from The Hook Up. I was a little skeptical from the cheesy cover but that one actually packed quite an emotional punch.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, you have some really great ones! Marrow (the story) didn't do it for me, but there's no denying that Taryn's writing is distinct and amazing. I love that author. Station Eleven has been sitting on my shelf as a must read this year. I still have a month to get it in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful quotes! Great list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing picks! My favorite has to be the one from Before We Were Strangers! I'm so excited for that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! I haven't read any of these books, but these quotes are beautiful. I specially like 4 and 8 :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?