Skip to main content

Review: Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes by Jules Moulin



Blurb from Goodreads:
When a buttoned-up professor and her unbuttoned daughter fall for the same irresistible man, a delightful, subversive comedy begins. . .

Life isn’t easy for single mother Ally Hughes. Teaching at Brown, her class load is huge and her boss is a menace. At home, she contends with a critical mother, a falling-down house, and a daughter who never misses a beat. Between taking care of the people she loves, teaching full time, and making ends meet, Ally doesn't have time for a man. She doesn’t date. She’s not into flings. But then she meets Jake, an eager student, young in years but old in soul, who challenges his favorite professor to open up her life, and her heart, to love. It doesn't work. In fact, his urging backfires.

Ten years later, Ally's still single. Jake reappears and surprises her in a brand-new role: He's dating Ally's now-grown daughter. In this hilarious, heartrending tale, Ally is finally forced to concede (not only to herself) that an independent, "liberated" woman can still make room in her life for love.
My Review:
 
Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes did not work for me.  First, the characters were so very one-dimensional and unlikeable.  Second, and this may be part of the e-arc formatting, but the book casually drifted between the past and present without paragraph or chapter breaks.  It was as if the author was just submitting her stream of consciousness outline for final review.  This needed some major editing.  **SPOILER ALERT** I also did not understand how a logical woman could fall for her student in two days and agree to marry him ten years later when he was absurdly famous and they hadn't spent more than 48 hours together, let alone ever done anything in public.  This wasn't romantic to me -- it was delusional.

I can't say that I would recommend this to anyone but others may like it.  Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes comes out tomorrow, August 25, 2015, and you can purchase HERE.
After her first three sexless years, Ally decided that not having sex brought about it sown brand of thrill.  Maybe not widely known or exalted.  In America.  Or anywhere else in the world, for that matter.  But celibacy, chosen or not, was underrated, she decided.  It was.  She was sure.  She was sure that monks knew some kind of joy, a spiritual pleasure, sensual even, that sex-having having people did not understand.  

Comments

  1. Oh the back and forth from past to present without a break or being clear would kill me. Yeah and it doesn't sound romantic - Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That always drives me nuts as well when there aren't clear breaks. The romance does sound like a mess. I will definitely skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that is weird how they barely spend anytime together. It's like, if they are going to set the characters up like that, then I need to really FEEL it between them. It does sound interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I have this one for review and I was hoping to enjoy it. I actually have both the audio and ecopy, so maybe I'll try the audio in hopes that there is some kind of past/present differentiation. I didn't read past your spoilers alert, but know it flip-flops without notice and that the MC isn't too likeable, I'm a little concerned that this one may not work for me either. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?